Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Curtains on the Cheap

After years of discontent with the home office that I work from; I decided to make some changes.

We went from a ho-hum tan to a color called Relaxed Navy. This was our first decorating attempt with blue in our home. I was a little worried. Either way, it came out fantastic. Along with the freshly painted room I wanted to add a some pattern with curtains. I searched and searched for curtains that were economical and exactly what I envisioned.

Well, that didn't go so well. I had my mind set of a pattern from Pottery Barn that would have been $139 a panel x 4 panels would be $556 !!! Yikes!
So, I set-forth and expanded my own vision and found something at Target. Then as I was standing in the curtain  aisle at Target; it came to me. I should cut these buggers in half vertically!! I was only looking for more or a decorative accent versus covering the whole window for privacy. 

I bought two panels and proceeded home to cut them down the center. Here is the final product that cost me a whole $39.98 vs the $556 or even $278 for just two.
Tips
*Measure twice and cut once
*Insert original hemmed edge on the insides of the window where it would be the most visible
*Use iron-on hem tape to create a hem on the cut edge if necessary


No comments:

Post a Comment